Wednesday 25 May 2016

I Love Ice Cream & I Love You


Why my son  loves  me even more this week.



I am one of the lucky ones.

I get told on average eight to ten times a day “I love You”.

I share a house here in Costa Rica with my ten year old son and the largest geckos on the planet.
Sometimes we get hummingbirds come in and hover with their wings flapping at something like a  billion flaps per minute, and at times the mosquito's try to take over.
 More frequently now friends are coming to stay often saying it is just for a night or two and weeks later we are still sharing dinners, loads of washing and loads of laughs.
But mostly it is just the two of us.


Whether it is early morning, whilst cleaning his teeth, using his machete in the forest adjacent to our house, constructing lego master pieces or even just putting on his shoes, ( a rare thing )  my sweet boy will randomly say “mum, I love you !”
Often he will be running off with his friends racing down the dirt track further into the jungle barefooted whilst shouting behind him “mama I love you ! “

I know, melts your heart doesn't it?

It melts mine and I am full to the brim with mother love for him. I cant help it. Every mother that meets him loves him in fact. But I am the one that gets to live with him, feed him, hang out with him and go on wild adventures with him. Namely to our off the beaten track beaches where he climbs the fallen trees and rocks like a mountain goat.



But to do this we need our car.
And right now we don't have our car...AGAIN.

I am all for getting a lot of attention and self care, but what my car demands of me is ridiculous.
I am questioning my relationship with her and her status of being apart of this small family clan. Presently her long stay at the mechanic is just about totaling up to more sick days than not since we began our working history.


Each and every time I get work and see the very small pinhead light at the end of the very very very long tunnel, she rears her lioness head and starts to spit and spurt and robs me blind.

So with another week of hitch hiking and pulling miracles out of my mouldy crumpled hat my son and I stumbled home yesterday late afternoon just as the first rain drops began to tumble heavily out of the blackened sky above us.


As I saw it I had two options.
 
I could lay down, kick and scream in a long overdue tantrum episode until my temples hurt and my voice went hoarse OR I could just smile like I was on holiday, forget all ideas of making dinner and proclaim that we were having home made ice cream for dinner. 
Just that and a whole damn lot of it.  !
My love stats rocketed !!


To go with the three to four tubs of vegan ice cream topped with home made chocolates were episodes and episodes of “Mr Bean” ( my sons choice ) and episodes and episodes of “Absolutely Fabulous” ( my choice )
Once it got dark we moved our small home cinema into the bedroom, got together all the pillows in the house and made my bed ( which some how is still his bed too ) into one big comfortable soft and cozy hangout lounge and laughed until we both fell asleep.
Just as my son was dosing off unable to keep his eyes open any longer he said “Mama I Love You”


I love you too baby



2 comments:

  1. Xxxxxxxx oh yeah. The best kind of love xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love me DO, I love you !!! .. the Beatles keep popping into my head !!!!

    ReplyDelete